Wednesday 14 November 2007

John Logie Baird


John Logie Baird the inventor of the first working television system and also the radar (1888 - 1946). I thought I would ask him some questions. Here is a link to a demonstration of his the first working television. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJoYskwKxsM





1. What college/University did you go to?


a. I went to Helensburgh the Glasgow Technical College. And went to the University of Glasgow but never graduated due to my course being interupted by World War 1.





2. Where was your first long distance broadcast too and from?


a. My first long distance broadcast was 438 miles from Glasgow to London in 1927. Then my first translantic broadcast was from London to New York in 1928. Using my television company, Baird Television Development Company Ltd.





3. What was your first live transmission?


a. My first live transmission was of the Epsom Derby in 1931.





4. I heard you tried to create diamonds did it work and what did you do to create these diamonds.


a. I tryed to create diamonds by heating up graphite but it didnt work... instead I shorted out Glasgows electricity supply.





5. Other than the radar and the television what other inventions were successful?


a. My thermal undersock was a pretty successful invention I suffered from cold feet and was just as shocked as you were, considering the other things that i have invented.


6. You created the television then many other television technologys what were they?



a. Well I tryed to invent the first high definition colour TV with 1000 lines of resolution which would be comparable to present day TV's but couldnt be funded. It wasnt untill 1990 the world caught up with my ideas when the japanese invented a 1125 lines of resolution.


7. Your glass razor was one of your unsuccessful inventions what was your idea and why wasnt in popular?


a. Well the idea around the glass razor is that it would never rust and it would be a very fine shave. But it shattered in use which is the reason It wasnt so popular as I got a nasty cut from it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jhon Logie Baird rules in the hell.